92Y Parenting Conference
92nd Street Y helps moms and dads navigate the challenges of modern-day parenting at 92Y’s first Parenting Conference, www.92y.org/parentingconference <http://www.92y.org/parentingconference> , with five of the country’s leading child-development experts – Michael Thompson, Ron Taffel, JoAnn Deak, Susan Linn and Lydia Soifer – on Monday, February 11 and Tuesday, February 12. Gail Saltz, psychiatrist, columnist, bestselling author and regular Today Show contributor, introduces the conference on Feb 11; and Dana Points, editor-in-chief of Parents and American Baby magazines, moderates an end-of-day panel discussion (Feb. 11).
Fretta Reitzes, creator of the 92Y Parenting Conference and director of 92Y’s children’s programming, sees the Parenting Conference as an opportunity for parents to get insights from top-tier psychologists and researchers. “We know that parenting can be wonderful, but it is also challenging and exhausting. At 92Y our goal is always to provide parents with support and information that helps them find the best way to understand and to parent their own children,” says Reitzes. “There is no one way to be a parent – and it’s important that parents learn to trust themselves to make good decisions.” Her hope is that parents leave the conference with renewed confidence, less anxiety and some new perspectives that can help them enjoy their children and family life.”
Monday, February 11
9:15 am – 2:00 pm, $99
Talks available via livestream at www.92y.org/livecast <http://www.92y.org/livecast>
– Dr. Gail Saltz, Welcoming Remarks
- Dr. Ron Taffel on Keys to Confident Parenting in an Age of Anxiety
- Dr. JoAnn Deak on The Most Updated Information About Brain Development (in the “magic decade” – ages 0-10)
- Dr. Michael Thompson on How to Give Your Child Confidence and Independence
- Dr. Susan Linn on Raising Children in a Digitized and Commercialized World
- Dr. Lydia Soifer on The Words We Use: Linking Language, Learning and Literacy
Following the individual presentations, all five experts join editor-in-chief of Parents and American Baby magazines, Dana Points, for a roundtable discussion and Q&A.
Tuesday, Feb 12
7:45 am – 10:45 am
Breakfast with the Experts
Connect with other parents at this in-depth discussion and Q & A with Monday’s speakers. Seating is limited.
- For Dads: Breakfast with Dr. Michael Thompson (7:45 – 8:45 am), $50
- For Moms: Breakfast with Dr. JoAnn Deak and Dr. Lydia Soifer (9:30 – 10:45 am), $50
92Y Parenting Conference
Event Category: Classes / Courses
When: February 11, 2013 ~ February 12, 2013