A former priest who once served as an altar boy coordinator at St. Brendan’s Church in Dorchester was arraigned Wednesday on charges of rape and assault related to incidents from the 1980s and 1990s. 

Michael Walsh, who will be 80 years old on Friday, allegedly used his position in the church and as a coach with the Cedar Grove Baseball League “to gain access to, groom, and ultimately sexually assault” a boy while he was the fourth, fifth and sixth grades, according to Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley's office. 

Walsh was indicted earlier this month on two counts of rape of a child and three counts of indecent assault and battery on a child. Clerk Magistrate Anne Kaczmarek ordered him to wear a GPS monitor, remain in Massachusetts and surrender his passport while the case was pending.

In 2006, Massachusetts legislation was passed that eliminated the statute of limitations in child sexual abuse cases. In such cases, prosecutors are required to come forward with "objective, corroborative evidence" of the abuse if it occurred more than 27 years earlier, the DA's office said. 

Walsh also resided outside of Massachusetts for extended periods of time between the alleged abuse and the indictment, which stopped "the proverbial clock" on the statute of limitations, according to the DA's office.

The victim, now in his late 30s, came forward to law enforcement earlier this year, officials said. 

“Changes in the statute of limitations law for child sexual abuse cases help us, but it means nothing without the bravery of abuse survivors who overcome their fear and shame to disclose trauma,” Conley said in a statement. “Survivors, young or old, should know that they can always count on us to help, support, and speak for them.”

Walsh allegedly took the victim and other children out to eat and to the movies. The alleged abuse took place in Walsh's car, home and office, according to the DA's office.

Assistant District Attorney Ashley Polin of the Child Protection Unit told the court that Walsh was ordained as a priest but relieved of those duties in 2002 after being accused of abuse that took place while he was assigned to the St. Francis de Sales Church in Charlestown. 

Those allegations are not related to the current Suffolk County indictment, the DA's office said.