A Superior Court Judge rejected former New England Patriot star tight end Aaron Hernandez’s motion to appeal his first-degree murder charge.
Judge Susan Garsh said that the prosecution proved their case beyond a reasonable doubt in the 2013 murder of Odin Lloyd. The appeal aimed to throw out the first-degree murder conviction or reduce it to a second-degree murder charge in hopes of possibly springing the former star from serving a life sentence.
The Patriots cut Hernandez, and his $41 million contract, hours after his arrest on June 26, 2013, nine days after a teenage jogger found Lloyd's body. Investigators never recovered the .45-caliber Glock pistol that was used to put six bullets into Lloyd, 27, who had been a semiprofessional football player.
Hernandez was also found guilty of two firearms charges for illegally possessing the handgun used in the crime and illegally possessing .22-caliber ammunition found at his North Attleborough home.
Hernandez is also said to have shot a former associate, Alexander Bradley, who was present for the 2012 murders of Daniel de Abreu and Sairo Furtado in the South End. Hernandez was said to be increasingly paranoid following that shooting and was suspicious of two men in a nightclub in Florida who he thought were undercover cops.
Bradley said something to the tune of “It’s probably because of the stupid stuff you did up there in Boston.” This remark lead to violence.
Hernandez allegedly shot the Bradley in the face on the morning of Feb. 13, 2013 and left him for dead on the side of the road in Riviera Beach, Florida. He is being charged with witness intimidation following that shooting.