Tufts University students trash Boston hotel during Winter Bash

Tufts University students are accused of vomiting and urinating in public at the Westin Copley Plaza during the school's Winter Bash. (Premshree Pillai/Flickr)
Tufts University students are accused of vomiting and urinating in public at the Westin Copley Plaza during the school’s Winter Bash. (Premshree Pillai/Flickr)

This year’s Tufts University Winter Bash apparently lived up to its name. The school’s Dean of Student Affairs is outraged over excessive drinking and damage caused to the hotel where the party took place.

In an op-ed in the Tufts Daily student newspaper, Dean Bruce Reitman said 15-20 students drank so much at the Feb. 1 event, they needed medical attention. Reitman is blaming not only those students, but also their friends, who may have encouraged the behavior.

Reitman also expressed outrage at the way Tufts students treated the event’s venue, the Westin Copley Plaza hotel.

“I am referring also to the myriad students who threw up all over the place and everyone who thought it was okay for the hotel staff to clean up the mess,” Reitman wrote. “And I’m referring to the male student and the female student who decided that urinating in the middle of the lobby was okay. Really?”

Reitman pledged that university officials will make changes to future events “to address the evidently widespread belief that Winter Bash is a time to get outrageously drunk and go to a classy Boston hotel. We have to do better.”

The newspaper appears to agree with Reitman’s assessment. In an editorial, the Tufts Daily editors said students should hold themselves to “a higher standard.”

“What this most recent stain on our reputation should warrant, if nothing else, is a comprehensive review of both logistical and moral concerns regarding Winter Bash and events of this nature,” the editorial reads. “Because our proven track record of misconduct at both on−campus and off−campus school−sponsored parties, the purpose of such events should absolutely be reconsidered.”

However, the editorial is a change in tone from an article written just after the event. On Feb. 4, the paper reported that organizers considered the Winter Bash “a success.”

“There were a few hiccups, but [the Office for Campus Life (OCL)] Event Staff and the hotel staff dealt with it well,” Programming Board Co−Chair Christopher Blackett, said in the article. “I only heard good things about them from students.”

Blackett painted a different picture of the event yesterday.

“This year was kind of in shambles,” Blackett told the Tufts Daily. “We expected some problems, but I don’t think we could’ve foreseen the level that occurred.”

Planning is already underway for the Tufts Fall Ball in September — an event with its own history of problems.

Follow Metro Boston on Twitter: @MetroBos

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
News

OMG! Exercise can make skin (and butt) look…

A moderate exercise regime can turn back time and actually reverse the skin's aging process, according to new research. The study showed that a minimum…

International

Jews in eastern Ukraine ordered to register, Kerry…

Secretary of State John Kerry condemned reports that Jews in eastern Ukraine had been ordered to register with the authorities "or suffer the consequences."

National

Chelsea Clinton pregnant with first child

Chelsea Clinton is pregnant with her first child.

National

Divers struggle in search for South Korean ferry…

By Jungmin Jang and Narae KimMOKPO/JINDO, South Korea (Reuters) - Rescuers struggled with strong waves and murky waters on Thursday as they searched for hundreds…

The Word

Kate Middleton made fun of Prince William's bald…

Kate Middleton and Prince William are in Sydney, Australia, right now, and it sounds like that brash Aussie sense of humor might be rubbing off.

The Word

Is Tom Cruise dating Laura Prepon?

"Mission: Impossible" star Cruise is said to be dating Laura Prepon, star of "Orange is the New Black."

Television

'Scandal' recap: Season 3, Episode 18, 'The Price…

Sally is Jesus, Olivia caused global warming, and Mellie's still drunk. Let's recap the Scandal finale. A church full of Washington insiders is about to…

Movies

Review: 'Transcendence' is not stupid but sometimes lacks…

The cyberthriller "Transcendence" explores artificial intelligence, nanotechnology and other ethical quandaries, but has too much ambition, if anything.

MLB

MLB video highlights: Red Sox score two in…

Lester shines in Red Sox win over White Sox

Sports

2014 Boston Marathon preview: Elite American, International runners…

2014 Boston Marathon: Elite American, International runners to watch

NBA

2014 NBA Finals odds: Ranking which playoff teams…

2014 NBA Finals odds: Ranking which playoff teams have the best shot at a championship. The Thunder, Clippers, Heat and Rockets lead the way.

NFL

2014 Patriots, full NFL schedule release date announced

Style

Light-up nail art syncs with phone

This Japanese technology syncs light-up nail art with your phone.

Wellbeing

Why is dance cardio taking off in NYC?

Instructors at some of the city's hottest classes explain why.

Travel

Earth Day travel in the Florida Keys

See why this eco-friendly destination deserves your attention.

Tech

Sorry, Facebook — FarmVille goes mobile with 'Country…

Zynga has released a version of the hit "FarmVille" tailored for smartphones and tablets in the hope of reaping a bumper crop of players.