Tufts University students trash Boston hotel during Winter Bash

Tufts University students are accused of vomiting and urinating in public at the Westin Copley Plaza during the school's Winter Bash. (Premshree Pillai/Flickr)
Tufts University students are accused of vomiting and urinating in public at the Westin Copley Plaza during the school’s Winter Bash. (Premshree Pillai/Flickr)

This year’s Tufts University Winter Bash apparently lived up to its name. The school’s Dean of Student Affairs is outraged over excessive drinking and damage caused to the hotel where the party took place.

In an op-ed in the Tufts Daily student newspaper, Dean Bruce Reitman said 15-20 students drank so much at the Feb. 1 event, they needed medical attention. Reitman is blaming not only those students, but also their friends, who may have encouraged the behavior.

Reitman also expressed outrage at the way Tufts students treated the event’s venue, the Westin Copley Plaza hotel.

“I am referring also to the myriad students who threw up all over the place and everyone who thought it was okay for the hotel staff to clean up the mess,” Reitman wrote. “And I’m referring to the male student and the female student who decided that urinating in the middle of the lobby was okay. Really?”

Reitman pledged that university officials will make changes to future events “to address the evidently widespread belief that Winter Bash is a time to get outrageously drunk and go to a classy Boston hotel. We have to do better.”

The newspaper appears to agree with Reitman’s assessment. In an editorial, the Tufts Daily editors said students should hold themselves to “a higher standard.”

“What this most recent stain on our reputation should warrant, if nothing else, is a comprehensive review of both logistical and moral concerns regarding Winter Bash and events of this nature,” the editorial reads. “Because our proven track record of misconduct at both on−campus and off−campus school−sponsored parties, the purpose of such events should absolutely be reconsidered.”

However, the editorial is a change in tone from an article written just after the event. On Feb. 4, the paper reported that organizers considered the Winter Bash “a success.”

“There were a few hiccups, but [the Office for Campus Life (OCL)] Event Staff and the hotel staff dealt with it well,” Programming Board Co−Chair Christopher Blackett, said in the article. “I only heard good things about them from students.”

Blackett painted a different picture of the event yesterday.

“This year was kind of in shambles,” Blackett told the Tufts Daily. “We expected some problems, but I don’t think we could’ve foreseen the level that occurred.”

Planning is already underway for the Tufts Fall Ball in September — an event with its own history of problems.

Follow Metro Boston on Twitter: @MetroBos

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
National

Woman dies when run over by bus at…

A woman at the Burning Man arts and culture festival in the Nevada desert died on Thursday when she was run over by a bus carrying participants.

National

Texas parents sue day care center for duct…

By Marice RichterDALLAS (Reuters) - A Texas couple has filed a lawsuit against the owners of a Fort Worth-area day care center seeking $1 million…

National

Santa Fe city council votes to decriminalize marijuana

By Joseph KolbALBUQUERQUE N.M. (Reuters) - Santa Fe on Wednesday became the latest U.S. city to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana, with lawmakers in the…

International

Egypt queries Mursi over documents "leaked" to Al…

CAIRO (Reuters) - Egypt is investigating jailed ex-president Mohamed Mursi in connection with documents that judicial investigators say were leaked to the Qatar-based Al Jazeera…

Going Out

'Friends' coffeehouse Central Perk coming to NYC —…

"Friends" is coming back for a one-off special: "The One with the Free Coffee." Warner Bros. is bringing a pop-up replica of Central Perk, the…

Movies

Interview: 'As Above, So Below' directors: 5 ways…

The fraternal directors of the found footage horror "As Above, So Below" dish on the best ways to frighten the bejesus out of audiences.

Movies

Criterion's new Jacques Demy box mixes the light…

Jacques Demy, the most effervescent of French New Wave filmmakers, gets a Criterion box all to himself, with classics like "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg."

Entertainment

Comedian Joan Rivers, 81, rushed to New York…

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Acerbic comedian and fashion critic Joan Rivers was rushed to Mount Sinai Hospital in New York on Thursday after she reportedly…

NFL

3 things we learned in the Giants preseason…

The final score didn’t matter — a 16-13 win by the Giants — but it would’ve been nice to finally see Big Blue’s new-look offense get on track.

NFL

NFL Power Rankings: Seahawks, Broncos, Patriots, 49ers start…

NFL Power Rankings: Seahawks, Broncos, Patriots start at top

U.S. Soccer

5 facts about new England captain Wayne Rooney

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney was named as the new England captain by coach Roy Hodgson on Thursday.

NFL

Jets vs. Eagles: 3 things to watch

A win on Thursday night at the Eagles would give the Jets a 3-1 record and just their second winning preseason under head coach Rex Ryan.

Style

Trend: White hot on the 2014 Emmy's red…

White was one of the big trends on the Emmy's red carpet.

Food

Recipe: Samuel Adams beer-marinated grilled shrimp

Summer calls for two things: a cold beer and light food. Sam Adams' Latitude 48 IPA fairly bursts with citrus notes, making it an ideal marinade…

Wellbeing

4 healthy ingredient swaps to make your meals…

When it comes to eating well, everyone knows they could be doing better. But cooking in an apartment on a busy schedule is a recipe…

Wellbeing

Heart trumps brain when it comes to movies…

When you need a good cry, do you reach for the movie that’s “based on a true story”? Science says you’re giving your brain far…