Harvard acknowledges additional email searches

Harvard University officials are releasing more information about searches of faculty email accounts. (Photo: Amanda Art/Metro)

Harvard University officials say secret searches of faculty email accounts were more extensive than they initially reported.

Dean of Harvard College Evelynn M. Hammonds told a faculty meeting on Tuesday that she authorized a resident dean’s faculty and administrative email accounts to be searched for a second time, looking for evidence of a media leak. The unnamed dean allegedly forwarded an email about a widespread cheating scandal to two reporters from the Crimson, Harvard’s student newspaper.

That contradicts a statement Hammonds and Harvard President Drew Faust released last month, which characterized the probe as a “very narrow, careful, and precise subject-line search” limited to the administrative email accounts of 16 resident deans. Most of the deans did not receive advanced notice about the initial search, which took place last fall.

“I regret deeply the poor notifi­cation of these searches,” Hammonds said Tuesday, according to the Boston Globe, which obtained a copy of Hammonds’ remarks. “Let me be clear: No e-mails were opened, and no content was searched.”

Resident deans are both administrators and faculty, and have both types of email accounts. The Crimson reports that the additional searches appear to violate the Faculty of Arts and Sciences email privacy policy that governs faculty email accounts. That policy requires searches be approved by the FAS Dean and the Office of the General Counsel.

FAS Dean Michael Smith says he didn’t find out about the email searches until last month.

“Although I consulted with legal counsel, I did not inform Dean Smith about the two additional queries. This was a mistake,” Hammonds said. “I also regret the inaccuracies in our March 11 communication resulting from my failure to recollect the additional searches at the time of that communication.”

Faust said a non-Harvard attorney is investigating the extent of the searches, and that a task force is being formed to revamp the university’s email privacy policies.

It may take more than new regulations to satisfy some faculty members.

“It seems to me that trust has to be based on something,” classics professor and Faculty Council member Richard F. Thomas said at the meeting. “The request that you make that we have trust suggests there aren’t consequences from this past case that go beyond saying simply, ‘Let’s all talk and get along together.’”

Follow Metro Boston on Twitter: @MetroBos

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
National

Mutant worms stay sober, even on alcohol

U.S. researchers have developed "mutant worms" that do not get drunk by alcohol, a breakthrough that could lead to new treatment for people trying to quit drinking

Local

K-9 nose helps capture $150K in cocaine at…

A furry, four-legged security agent helped authorities stop an illegal cocaine shipment from sneaking past JFK customs.

National

Minnesota man asked to leave Southwest flight after…

A man and his two sons were asked to leave a Southwest Airlines flight after the man sent a tweet complaining about being treated rudely by a gate agent.

National

Man sues hospital after surprise penis amputation

An Alabama man who went in to a hospital last month for a circumcision awoke after surgery to find his penis had been amputated, his lawyer said on Thursday.

Movies

Review: Brett Ratner's big 'Hercules' movie is small…

The latest "Hercules," starring Dwayne Johnson as the half-god beefcake of Greek myth, strips its hero and tale of most of its fantastical elements.

Arts

Scientists recreate world's smallest Monet copy

Scientists have reproduced a famous Impressionist painting using nano-printing, to create what has been described as the world's smallest work of art. Reworked at the…

Television

Jerry Seinfeld is ambidextrous, and other Reddit AMA…

See some of the weirder highlights of Jerry Seinfeld's recent Reddit AMA.

Going Out

Grab a pedestrian and start dancing at What…

As a New Yorker, I’ve mastered the art of focusing my gaze straight ahead. Though it occasionally piques my interest, the absurdities that play out…

NFL

2014 NFL Fantasy Football Top 100 overall player…

2014 NFL Fantasy Football Top 100 overall player rankings

U.S. Soccer

NYCFC announce signing of Frank Lampard

The tease of a big signing Thursday by new MLS side NYCFC ended up being one rumored for weeks. England midfielder Frank Lampard agreed to…

NBA

NBA great LeBron James sends 800 cupcake apologies…

By Kim PalmerCLEVELAND (Reuters) - NBA star LeBron James, whose recent return to the Cleveland Cavaliers in his home state of Ohio sparked a frenzy…

NFL

Jerry Reese confident with Giants, skipping countdown clocks…

Last year, Giants GM Jerry Reese installed a countdown clock in the locker room to inspire Big Blue to play in their own stadium for Super Bowl XLVIII.

Tech

Forget Wi-Fi: Li-Fi could be the future

Li-Fi technology – developed by Mexican company Sisoft – is wireless internet connectivity using specialized LED light.

Tech

Weather app Climendo might be the most accurate…

The wait for a truly accurate weather forecast could finally be over thanks to a nifty new app called Climendo.

Tech

Napkin Table puts focus off the phone and…

Michael Jan, a design student at Tunghai University in Taiwan, has invented a serviette-picnic blanket hybrid called the Napkin Table.

Style

Essie's new Color Boutique

Essie launches high-tech kiosks at major airports and malls across the country.