Boston Marathon says stopped runners will have chance in 2014

The first wave of runners starts the 117th running of the Boston Marathon in Hopkinton, Massachusetts April 15, 2013. Credit: Reuters
The first wave of runners starts the 117th running of the Boston Marathon in Hopkinton, Massachusetts April 15, 2013. Credit: Reuters

The Boston Athletic Association, which organizes the Boston Marathon, said Thursday that thousands of runners who were stopped because of the attacks during this year’s race will be able to race in 2014. 

More than 5,600 runners were halted and the race was put on hold when two bombs exploded on Boylston Street near the finish line at about 2:50 p.m.

Despite requests and pleas from runners who had trained for months to partake in the historic race, it was unclear for a while whether those who were stopped would be able to compete in 2014. The registration process for the Marathon can be difficult as tens of thousands of people try to sign up each year for a limited field.

Metro reported earlier this month that one runner had started an online petition that asked the association to allow stopped runners to bypass the registration process. That petition had more than 28,000 signatures as of Thursday morning. At the time, a B.A.A. spokesman was noncommittal and said there were many logistical factors to changing the structure of such a large race.

But on Thursday, the B.A.A. said it would allow official entrants who started this year’s race, reached the half marathon mark and were stopped after that, the chance to compete in 2014.

“The opportunity to run down Boylston Street and to cross the finish line amid thousands of spectators is a significant part of the entire Boston Marathon experience,” said Tom Grilk, the B.A.A. executive director. “With the opportunity to return and participate in 2014, we look forward to inviting back these athletes and we expect that most will renew their marathon training commitment. Boston spectators are known for their impassioned support and unbridled enthusiasm, and they will give these returning athletes some of the loudest cheers at next year’s race. We want to thank our participants for their patience as we continue to work through the details of arranging this accommodation for them, and we ask for continued patience from the running community as we plan the 2014 Boston Marathon next April.”

Those who were unable to cross the finish line will receive a non-transferable unique code in August to be used for entry. The applicant’s entry will be guaranteed only during a designated registration period. Participants will be required to pay an entry fee.

Registration for the 2014 Marathon opens in September and there has yet to be determined a maximum field size.

Follow Michael Naughton on Twitter @metrobosmike.



News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
Local

Protesters say new Met Opera is anti-Semitic

Protesters, including a former mayor and governor, gathered outside of the Metropolitan Opera on Monday afternoon to protest the opening of “The Death of Klinghoffer.”

Local

Brooklyn girl's death ruled a homicide

The New York City Medical Examiner has ruled the death of a Brooklyn toddler a homicide. Jeida Torres, 3, was found bruised and unresponsive Saturday…

Local

New York City continues to prepare for Ebola…

New York City continues to prepare for the possibility of Ebola. There have been numerous scares, but no confirmed cases. Representatives from about 150 unions…

Local

NYPD nabs alleged serial bank robber

  The NYPD has arrested a man they say is responsible for multiple Manhattan bank robberies this month. Police have arrested a Brooklyn man they…

Entertainment

We the Economy: Morgan Spurlock's new crusade

If Morgan Spurlock gets his way, you won't be able to avoid We the Economy, the series of 20 shorts films curated by the "Super…

Arts

3 Parody plays lampoon your childhood, adulthood and…

Whether you loved the source material or you're going in blind, these parody plays have something for every audience member. We rate three of NYC's hottest satirical shows.

Gossip

Who has more power: Harry Styles or Amal…

Amal Clooney comes in fourth on The Evening Standard's Most Influential Londoners list.

Music

#AskPaul McCartney reveals his love of American pop…

For an Englishman, Paul McCartney's pop culture tastes would fit right in stateside. The former Beatle (@PaulMcCartney) revealed that he has a real thing for…

NFL

John Idzik: 'We did a ton of background'…

Given John Idzik spent the previous five years with the Seahawks before he joined the Jets last January, there is a comfort level for the organization.

NFL

Jets add sizzle to struggling passing game with…

The Jets’ trade for Percy Harvin may have an air of desperation on the surface, but at 1-6 this season is hanging only by a thread.

NFL

Jason Pierre-Paul: 'We've got to regroup' during bye…

“We’ve got to regroup and figure out what went wrong,” said defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul. “When we come back, we want to be a great team.”

NFL

Breno Giacomini: Media blowing up Golden Tate-Percy Harvin…

According to Breno Giacomini, the fight between Golden Tate and Percy Harvin during Super Bowl week was over by the time the lineman turned around.

Education

Is a 'gap year' after high school for…

It’s a familiar script that millions of students follow each year: Graduate high school and then immediately start college. But more and more students are…

Parenting

New news about Kate Middleton's pregnancy

The Palace released a statement about Kate Middleton's pregnancy.

Parenting

Cool book for kids: 'The Princess In Black'

"The Princess In Black" will change the way girls view princesses.

Wellbeing

Gabby Bernstein: The 3 questions I always get

For the last decade, I’ve been writing self-help books and preaching the Gospel of Gabby to audiences throughout the world. And no matter what country…