Ariel Castro: Ohio kidnapper’s son says life in prison is best for all

 

Ariel Castro (C), 53, listens to the judge as he sits between his attorneys Jaye Schlachet (R) and Craig Weintraub in the courtroom in Cleveland, Ohio July 26, REUTERS/Aaron Josefczyk
Ariel Castro (C), 53, listens to the judge as he sits between his attorneys Jaye Schlachet (R) and Craig Weintraub in the courtroom in Cleveland, Ohio.

The son Ariel Castro, the Ohio man who held three women captive for years, said on Monday that he was happy his father has pleaded guilty in a deal that spared him the death penalty and spared his victims from repeated court appearances.

“In death penalty cases, you end up in court a lot and so they come back a lot more often,” Anthony Castro said on Monday on NBC News’ “Today” program. “I think this way is a lot better because he’s sent himself away and he will be away for the rest of his life.”

Former school bus driver Ariel Castro, 53, pleaded guilty last week in Cleveland to 937 charges, including kidnapping and repeatedly raping three young women he abducted between 2002 and 2004.

The women were chained and tied up for long periods and subjected to starvation, beatings and sexual assaults. On May 6, neighbors heard cries for help from Amanda Berry, 27, and helped her break open a door to Ariel Castro’s house, where they also found Gina DeJesus, 23; Michelle Knight, 32, and Berry’s 6-year-old daughter fathered by Ariel Castro.

Anthony Castro, 31, said he felt “overwhelming joy” when he first heard the women had been found and freed, but was horrified when he learned from Berry’s 911 call that it was his father who had held them.

“I was shocked because of the magnitude of such a crime. I don’t think I could imagine anyone doing that, let alone finding out it was my own flesh and blood, my father,” Anthony Castro said.

He said his father was violent, “incredibly strict” and regularly beat him and his mother, Grimelda Figueroa, who was divorced from Ariel Castro and died last year.

Anthony Castro said he had visited his father’s fortress-like home a few times in the last decade but had no idea the women were there and did not suspect anything was wrong. He stayed outside or entered through the back door and never went beyond the kitchen, he said.

Even when he lived there as a child, he said, the basement, attic and garage were locked, the windows were nailed shut and parts of the house were off-limits, he said.

Ariel Castro is to be sentenced on August 1 to life without parole, plus 1,000 years. His son said he will not visit him in prison and has nothing to say to him.

“He’s been lying to his family for the past 10, 11 years at every possible turn,” Anthony Castro said. “I have no trust in him. I can’t see myself going to visit him and giving him the opportunity to face me and lie to me again.”

 



News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
National

OkCupid admits to Facebook-style experimenting on customers

By Sarah McBrideSAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - OkCupid, a top U.S. matchmaking website, intentionally mismatched users to test its technology, the IAC/InterActive Corp service said on…

Local

MTA fares still increasing 4 percent in newly…

The agency said the 4 percent increases, previously announced in December, will remain steady even as the MTA deals with increasing labor costs.

Local

De Blasio, Bratton defend city's efforts after Eric…

Mayor Bill de Blasio justified the city's response to the death of Eric Garner, a Staten Island man who died while in police custody earlier this month.

National

PHOTO: New Zealand Heral uses wrong image to…

The New Zealand Herald made a terrible mistake of using the wrong image to illustrate the tragic death of Staff Sergeant Guy Boyland – a New Zealand-born Israeli soldier who…

Movies

Interview: Brendan Gleeson on the way 'Calvary' depicts…

Brendan Gleeson talks about how his new film "Calvary" began over drinks and how his character here is the opposite of the lead in "The Guard."

Movies

'Get on Up' producer Mick Jagger on the…

Mick Jagger, a producer on the James Brown biopic "Get on Up," talks about the time had to tell the singer some bad news and his favorite JB record.

Television

'Glee' star Lea Michele to appear on 'Sons…

"Glee" star Lea Michele has been confirmed as a guest star in the final season of "Sons of Anarchy."

Television

TV watch list, Monday, July 28: 'The Bachelorette'…

See Andi Dorfman make her big choice on tonight's 'Bachelorette' finale.

NFL

Larry Donnell has inside track in Giants tight…

Little-known Larry Donnell of Grambling State currently has the inside track, as the second-year player has received the bulk of the first-team reps.

NFL

Computer to Jets: Start Michael Vick over Geno…

Jets general manager John Idzik says the choice of who starts between second-year quarterback Geno Smith and veteran Michael Vick will be a “Jets decision.”

MLB

Yankees looking to trade for Josh Willingham: Report

CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported Sunday the Yankees are interested in Twins outfielder Josh Willingham.

MLB

Joe Torre: I'm in Hall of Fame because…

Joe Torre spent 18 years putting together a near Hall of Fame career as a player. But it was the 12 years he spent as…

Travel

Glasgow: Hey, hey, the gangs aren't here

This European city has done a good job getting rid of its more violent residents and revitalizing with artists.

Education

Babson College tops list of best colleges for…

Money magazine has just released its inaugural list of "The Best Colleges for Your Money" -- and the answers have surprised many. Babson College, which…

Education

NYC teens learn how to develop apps during…

Through a program sponsored by CampInteractive, the high schoolers designed their own community-focused apps.

Tech

The Ministry of Silly Walks app is both…

Monty Python have dug into their back catalogue for cash-ins once more, but with the Ministry of Silly Walks app, they've made something that's fun too.