Horace Mann paid $1 million to settle sexual abuse claims
The Horace Mann School filed a lawsuit Tuesday against three insurance companies for refusing to reimburse $1 million that the school paid to settle two sexual abuse claims.
The suit charges that Granite State Insurance Company, New Hampshire Insurance Company and Chartis Claims Inc. “breached their contract with Horace Mann with regard to the John Doe No. 1 and John Doe No. 2 claims,” The New York Post reports.
It is the first time that the amount of the settlements has been revealed.
According to the court filings, the elite Bronx prep school is owed $1.05 million for two settlements, plus defense costs and other fees.
Sexual abuse allegations spanning decades at the school first came to light in 2012. More than 30 students have come forward since then with claims of sexual abuse.
Dr. Kathleen Howard, a former Horace Mann teacher and the mother of one of the two victims involved in the settlement, told the Post, “But it’s not about the money.”
“I realize that it could be millions and millions of dollars, and it would never have made any difference,” she said.
Howard’s son, Ben, committed suicide in 2009 at the age of 32, the Post reports.