School District says it needs $50 million or it can’t open
Superintendent William Hite laid down the gauntlet one month before schools are set to open: pay up, or we don’t open.
Hite said Thursday that the schools will not open on Sept. 9 unless he is sure the district will receive $50 million, according to the district. Hite said if he does not receive confirmation by Aug. 16, the district will postpone the opening of the 218 district schools on Sept. 9th to a later date.
Other options include only opening a few schools, or running them on a half-day schedules.
The district started with a $304 million budget gap, and so far has been promised about $112 million. Teacher’s union contract concessions remain a sticking point.