VIDEO: Twerking crowd sets world record in Herald Square
Big Freedia, the Queen of Bounce, and 358 people set a Guinness World Record today for Most People Twerking Simultaneously in Herald Square, New York.The New Orleans-based rapper and pioneer of the bounce genre of music is promoting her upcoming show on Fuse, called “Big Freedia: Queen of Bounce,” and organized the event. A Guinness World Record judge stated that more than 250 people must participate in order to set a record, and Wednesday’s crowd easily topped that number. The judge also explained the stringent rules to both twerkers and onlookers alike:
1. Body must remain upright, with movement concentrated in hips.
2. Participants can put hands on knees or hips for support.
3. Twerking action cannot comes from knees – hips only.
4. Freestyling or additional choreography not permitted – no hands on the ground, feet in the air, twirling, etc.
5. Twerking action must be synchronized, can be at own pace.
6. All participants must twerk simultaneously for two minutes when Big Freedia gives the signal.
7. Any performers who do not participate fully for the entire two minutes will be deducted from the final total.
The twerkers ranged from 8 to 80, according to Fuse, and included the hip elderly woman captured dancing her booty off in the above Instagram video.