SUNY reopens bidding on Long Island College Hospital
Just two days after Mayor Bill de Blasio and Governor Andrew Cuomo presented a united front in hopes of solving the Brooklyn hospital crisis, SUNY has reopened bidding on Long Island College Hospital.
The bidding will be limited to seven prospective developers who already submitted proposals last year, the last time the struggling Cobble Hill hospital was on the chopping block for redevelopment.
Eligible suiters include NYU Langone Medical Center, which proposed a new facility split between condominiums and health care, and the Brooklyn Hospital Center, which put forth a plan for an emergency room flanked by 1,000 apartments, 350 of which would be designated as low-income housing. The bidders have only until Feb. 3 to resubmit their proposals.
Elected officials from Brooklyn released a joint statement blaming SUNY’s “failure” for LICH’s current state of affairs and demanding a more open process. The group of eight officials included Congresswoman Nydia Velazquez, State Senator Daniel Squadron, and Public Advocate Letitia James.
“As federal, state and city elected officials, we stand together against SUNY’s latest attempt to turn LICH into a luxury condo deal,” the statement said. ”As we have consistently said, SUNY, Governor Cuomo, and the NYS Department of Health must support a new, more open, and expedited process to solve the crisis at LICH – in order to ensure the best possible outcome for Brooklyn.”
Follow Emily Johnson on Twitter @emilyjreports