Unusual ways to give
Can’t give much this year? Few of us can donate thousands of dollars, especially in these economic times. Everyone knows you can give canned goods or used coats you haven’t worn in years, but here are a few new ways you can give back that you may not have heard of before.
1. Donate used eyeglasses – people in developing countries can’t afford
2. Donate a cell phone – even without a wireless service plan, a working cell phone can still dial a 911 call center (an FCC requirement). Useful for women’s shelters or senior citizens.
3. Donate used toys – church day care centers, women’s shelters and homeless shelters will appreciate this.
4. Donate a computer to schools and nonprofits.
5. Donate frequent flyer miles – yes, you can! Most programs allow you to donate them to a charitable cause.