Boston dog swallows cheese and knife, has it surgically removed
A Boston resident’s mischievous Bull Mastiff is recovering after she gobbled up a 3-inch knife along with a piece of brie cheese and had to undergo emergency surgery to get it removed.
Bean, a 118-pound pup from Roslindale, was rushed to the MSPCA’s Angell Animal Medical Center, where doctors said they could clearly see the sharp object in the pit of the pooch’s stomach after conducting X-rays.
“It’s kind of crazy, but the dog was brought in and indeed the knife was there,” said Dr. Mike Pavletic, head of Angell’s surgery department. “It required making an incision in the stomach to remove it.”
Because Bean swallowed the knife handle-first, she didn’t suffer from any lacerations to her esophagus or insides, doctors said.
According to Pavletic, Bean is home with her owner, Sean Burte, and is expected to have a healthy recovery.
Burte said he was thankful for the team at Angell.
“It’s obviously a very scary moment when you realize that your dog has consumed a knife. … We’re just so glad to have her back home,” he said.