Max Nicastro: BU questions hockey behavior after sexual assault charges
Boston University President Robert Brown is launching an investigative panel to examine the behaviors of the men’s ice hockey team amidst recent sexual assault allegations against two of its star players.
In an e-mail sent to the student body Thursday, Brown said he would construct a “Task Force” of various university officials to examine the “culture” of the hockey squad and its impact.
“[The Task Force] will be charged with studying the culture and climate of the men’s ice hockey team and its influence on the behavior of student athletes in our campus community,” Brown said in the letter.
“These charges, if ultimately substantiated, involve reprehensible acts,” Brown said.
The two separate cases, brought against players Max Nicastro and Corey Trivino, both 21, raise questions about whether the team’s culture contributed to the actions of both players, Brown said.
Some students on campus said the allegations paint a bad picture of BU and steps should be taken to examine the accusations.
“I have heard stories about the team that would legitimize the letter,” said sophomore Morgan Stukes.
Senior Sam Davidson said a task force might not be “the way to go,” but the university “probably feels forced to get in front of the issue.”
“The two events are questionable,” he said. “It’s not a good look for the school.”
The president hopes to have a full report by summer to discuss necessary changes to the athletic lifestyle.
BU’s bad streak
Other problems have cast a shadow on the school recently
Three reported incidents in the last month of a “Peeping Tom” recording women in BU dorm showers. Police don’t have any suspects.
Thirty students, including some from BU, were bagged at the Canadian border with drugs and booze on Monday.