Five things to know about Boston University student Olivia Culpo, the new Miss USA
Boston University student Olivia Culpo just finished her sophomore year, but more significantly the 20-year-old just won the Miss USA competition.
Culpo, who was Miss Rhode Island, won Sunday night’s competition and beat out 50 other contestants, including Miss Washington, D.C.
She will now compete in the Miss Universe contest later this year.
Here are five things to know about one of BU’s – now – most famous students:
1. Not only does Culpo have the beauty, but she has the brains. The College of General Studies student has made it on the Dean’s List every semester, according to her Miss USA bio.
2. Culpo was “short and chubby” growing up. That was the description that was read about her as she strutted her bikini-clad body across the stage during the swimsuit round.
3. She has a musical ear and played cello with the Boston Symphony Orchestra.
4. When she won the Miss Rhode Island pageant last year it was her first pageant ever, she told The Daily Free Press. Although she began modeling at 16, the rookie pageant competitor was able to win both her first state and national shows.
5. Culpo adores actress Audrey Hepburn. During one of the question rounds on Sunday night, she answered that she thought Hepburn was beautiful on the inside and on the outside.