Beware Easter lilies: Boston animal hospital warns of flower’s kitty-killing power
A local animal hospital and shelter is putting out a warning this Easter season: pet owners should steer clear of Easter lilies.
Angell Animal Medical Center in Jamaica Plain, Mass., treats dozens of cats every year for kidney failure as a result of eating Easter lilies, according to spokesman Rob Halpin.
“Most of these poisonings occur in the days leading up to and immediately following the Easter holiday, when cat owners have these plants in their homes. We’ve already had two cases this week – fortunately the cats were treated successfully and released. Most cats who ingest these plants do not survive,” Halpin said.
All parts of the Easter lily are extremely toxic to cats, and even the smallest amounts can be lethal if ingested.
Easter lilies can also be a problem for rabbits – though their reactions are often not fatal – and are generally not an issue for dogs, according to veterinarians.
“But the bottom-line recommendation is that if you’re a pet owner of any kind, best not to have these plants in the house,” Halpin said.
According to the animal hospital, the signs of Easter lily poisoning can be vague: Lethargy or vomiting are the most common. If cat owners suspect their pet may have eaten any part of a lily it’s imperative that the cat is taken to the vet as quickly as possible, Halpin said.