Government shutdown will only impact New York City Marathon starting line, officials say
The race will go on.
The government shutdown will only impact the starting line of the New York City Marathon, city and race officials stressed Thursday.
“We will find a way to run the marathon,” Mayor Michael Bloomberg assured Thursday.
The Nov. 3 race, which was canceled last year after Superstorm Sandy, usually begins in the federally run Fort Wadsworth Park on Staten Island. The government shutdown shuttered the park just weeks before some 48,000 runners are expected to take part in the race.
But Washington gridlock will only alter the marathon’s starting line in Staten Island, race organizers said.
“Regardless of the federal government’s status on race day, the marathon will proceed and the starting location will not change,” a New York Road Runners spokesperson said in a statement. “NYRR is working closely with our city, state and federal partners to establish contingency plans for our Fort Wadsworth staging area that will ensure a continued shutdown would not significantly impact the race.”
It’s still unclear what contingency plans are in place and how the Road Runners plans to relocate security, volunteers, medics and runners from the park.
“We’re discussing that now,” Staten Island Borough President James Molinaro said.
Bloomberg put it simply, pointing out that the thousands of participants can run anywhere in the city.
“We’ll find it. We need some open fields and we’ll do it,” he said.
Follow Anna Sanders on Twitter: @AnnaESanders