Report: Videos show suspects in Boston Marathon bombings
Authorities plan to release images Thursday of two possible suspects in the Boston Marathon bombings, after video showed one of them at each of the blast sites.
The Boston Globe reported that an official close to the case, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the video shows both men carrying black bags before the explosions.Based on the shards of metal, fabric, wires and a battery recovered at the scene, the bombs were thought to be homemade in pressure cooker pots and carried in heavy black nylon bags.
“I know it’s very active and very fluid right now — that they are on the chase,” Boston City Council President Stephen Murphy told The Associated Press after he was briefed by police. “They may be on the verge of arresting someone, and that’s good.”
The explosions killed an 8-year-old boy, Martin Richard; a 29-year-old woman, Krystle Campbell, and a Boston University graduate student and Chinese citizen, Lu Lingzi.More than 180 others were hurt, some of them critically. Ten victims lost limbs, and emergency room doctors reported plucking nails and ball bearing from the wounded.
The crowded scene along the race course was recorded Monday by surveillance cameras and media outlets, providing investigators with significant video of the area before and after the two blasts.
The pictures will be released along with a request for the public’s help to identify the men, according to the Globe.
No arrests had been made, two U.S. government officials told Reuters on Wednesday.
With additional reporting by Reuters. Follow Metro Boston on Twitter: @MetroBos