Mets expect Matt Harvey to make next start
The Mets’ worst fears were almost realized in Saturday’s 20-inning loss to Miami — Matt Harvey had to be removed from the game with a back injury.
But the outlook was much sunnier Sunday morning as the team said they don’t expect their ace phenom to miss a start due to the lower back tightness.
“Everything is fine,” Harvey told reporters before Sunday’s series finale against Miami. “I woke up today [and] felt good. They told me my start date is Thursday. So I’m ready to go.”
Harvey left the game after warming up to start the eighth inning. Manager Terry Collins came to the mound and decided to play it safe by removing the team’s 24-year-old ace. He had allowed one run and struck out six in the first seven innings.
Harvey said yesterday he had his back realigned by a team trainer, which certainly did not sound promising. But according to Harvey, he had the problem in college at UNC and did not sound concerned.
“In college it happened a couple times,” Harvey said. “It hasn’t happened since then. It was a quick thing. Once it was realigned, it was back to normal.”
Harvey is 5-0 with a 2.10 ERA and 95 strikeouts in 90 innings. He is receiving just 4.23 runs in support during his 13th start, tied for 26th in the NL.
He is scheduled to make his next start on Thursday against St. Louis.
Follow Metro New York Sports Editor Mark Osborne on Twitter @MetroNYSports.