A trashed house and an inspiring tour

1.  Wade Belak
Another NHL enforcer died this week — the third this summer — but no one saw this coming. Belak seemed like the happiest, funniest, most self-deprecating dude around. Everyone liked him. He lived in my old hood for a while and every time you saw him with his wife and daughters, he was smiling. That’s what people will remember most about the big boy from Saskatchewan. His big, permanent smile.

2. Lloyd Robertson Says Goodbye

Lloyd Robertson, “Canada’s most trusted newscaster,” signed off as CTV anchorman last night after 35 years at CTV, and 60 years in broadcasting. Lloyd, who covered the first moon landing, JFK’s assassination, the fall of the Berlin Wall and 9/11, wrote a goodbye letter to Canadians at CTV.ca, noting “it’s been a wonderful ride.” Indeed. Look forward to the memoir he has in the works.

3. Calvin Locke

The singer/songwriter is about halfway through a 100-Day Tour across Canada to raise funds and build awareness for children’s cancer charities. He doesn’t have any gigs booked, but plays spontaneous gigs in random places out of his ’87 Chevrolet Beauville van. Follow Locke’s amazing journey on Twitter @calvinlocke or his website IPlayMusicForPeople.com.

3. Sebastian Bach & Irene
Bach’s New Jersey home that was once featured on MTV Cribs was destroyed during Hurricane Irene. He said on his Facebook page, “I will always love New Jersey but now there is literally nothing left for me here except memories of a past life. Hello, Los Angeles. Hello, New Life.”  Uh, Sebastian, not to dissuade you, but have you heard that Cali gets the occasional earthquake?

4. Space Oddity Children’s Book
Canadian illustrator Andrew Kolb has given modern love to a David Bowie song by creating a “concept book” for kids (it could also be a avant-garde coffee table book for adults) based on his classic space epic, Space Oddity. It’s a really neat idea, imagining Bowie’s song in visuals as Kolb does. You can download it for free at KolbIsNeat.com. No word on whether Bowie has.

5.  Prof Quits Over Parking Spot
Dalhousie University prof Dan Middlemiss quit his job in frustration at the Halifax school after 30 years of teaching because of a severe shortage of parking spaces, a problem that has apparently been ongoing. I once wrote an article for my high school newspaper on my school’s parking problems called “The Pain of Parking At Adam Scott.” But I didn’t quit being a student. My parents wouldn’t let me.

6. TIFF
The 36th Toronto International Film Festival starts next week, running Sept. 8th through the 18th. There are sure to be some remarkable movies, but make no mistake: this is just as much about the A-list star power. The red carpet biz will be booming, welcoming the likes of George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Ryan Gosling, Salma Hayek and Bono. Toronto will be TMZed all week.  

7.  iPad Made Of Wood
A woman in South Carolina purchased an iPad from two men in a McDonald’s parking lot at a discounted rate. When she later opened the FedEx box it was in, she discovered it was just a block of wood with an Apple logo painted on it. Lesson learned: If you’re approached  in a McDonald’s parking lot about buying an iPad, first make sure it’s actually an iPad and not just a piece of wood painted black with an Apple logo.  

8.  Beyonce’s Twitter Record
Beyonce’s baby bump reveal at the end of her MTV Video Music Awards performance caused quite a stir on social media, breaking a new Twitter record with 8,868 tweets per second. Just wait till Kim Kardashian announces she’s pregnant with Kris Humphries’ baby to her nine million followers.

Metro Editors: http://www.toronto.com/article/696786

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
Local

Nas, The Roots, Lorde to play fall Boston…

Lorde, Nas, The Roots and Childish Gambino are among the 22 acts that make up the fall festival's lineup, which Boston Calling will announce Wednesday.

National

Train selfie star who got kicked in the…

A 22-year-old Canadian man who posted a video of himself getting kicked in the head by a train conductor is set to cash in…

National

Call of Duty hoaxer blamed for $100K SWAT…

A heavilly-armed SWAT team and an army of police officers stormed a Long Island home fearing a grisly double homicide – only to find it…

National

Minnie Driver tweets naked celebrity snap to 'shut…

Actress Minnie Driver has responded to bitchy critics who sniped about her bikini body by Tweeting a naked picture of herself. The 44-year-old star of…

Television

John Turturro tags in for Robert De Niro…

The cast of the courtroom drama miniseries has undergone yet another shift. Following Robert De Niro's exit, the cable network has brought in John Turturro…

Arts

"The Shape She Makes", an "extraordinary treat" at…

“The Shape She Makes” is a fascinating melding of theater and dance in a narrative that exposes human vulnerability in its purest form. Initially, the…

Television

TV watch list, Tuesday, April 22: 'Glee,' 'Agents…

'Glee' Rachel makes her Broadway debut in "Funny Girl." Remember when she was just a high school drama nerd? FOX, 8PM 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'…

The Word

Lindsay Lohan's big, drunk interview

Lindsay Lohan appears to be completely off the wagon now, if Kode magazine's chronicle of her trip to Coachella is any indication. According to the…

MLB

MLB video highlights: Yankees rout Red Sox, 9-3

Jon Lester allows eight runs in 4 2/3 innings taking loss

MLB

MLB Power Rankings: Brewers best in baseball, Dodgers,…

MLB Power Rankings: Brewers best in baseball, Dodgers, Cardinals, Yankees surge. The A's, Braves, Rangers, Giants and Rockies are also in the top 10.

Sports

American runners stand tallest in 2014 Boston Marathon

Sports

2014 Boston Marathon results: American Meb Keflezighi wins…

2014 Boston Marathon results: American Meb Keflezighi wins men's race

Wellbeing

How to burn off all that Easter candy

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but you can't eat chocolate eggs and Jelly Bellys forever.

Food

Powdered alcohol: 5 things to know about 'Palcohol'

What's the deal with powdered alcohol? Here's what you need to know about Palcohol.

Travel

Travel hacks: 6 tips on living out of…

Lynne Martin shares her travel hacks on living out of just two suitcases.

Wellbeing

Tough Mudder pro gives tips on conquering a…

Learn hacks from head designer Nolan Kombol.