A trashed house and an inspiring tour

1.  Wade Belak
Another NHL enforcer died this week — the third this summer — but no one saw this coming. Belak seemed like the happiest, funniest, most self-deprecating dude around. Everyone liked him. He lived in my old hood for a while and every time you saw him with his wife and daughters, he was smiling. That’s what people will remember most about the big boy from Saskatchewan. His big, permanent smile.

2. Lloyd Robertson Says Goodbye

Lloyd Robertson, “Canada’s most trusted newscaster,” signed off as CTV anchorman last night after 35 years at CTV, and 60 years in broadcasting. Lloyd, who covered the first moon landing, JFK’s assassination, the fall of the Berlin Wall and 9/11, wrote a goodbye letter to Canadians at CTV.ca, noting “it’s been a wonderful ride.” Indeed. Look forward to the memoir he has in the works.

3. Calvin Locke

The singer/songwriter is about halfway through a 100-Day Tour across Canada to raise funds and build awareness for children’s cancer charities. He doesn’t have any gigs booked, but plays spontaneous gigs in random places out of his ’87 Chevrolet Beauville van. Follow Locke’s amazing journey on Twitter @calvinlocke or his website IPlayMusicForPeople.com.

3. Sebastian Bach & Irene
Bach’s New Jersey home that was once featured on MTV Cribs was destroyed during Hurricane Irene. He said on his Facebook page, “I will always love New Jersey but now there is literally nothing left for me here except memories of a past life. Hello, Los Angeles. Hello, New Life.”  Uh, Sebastian, not to dissuade you, but have you heard that Cali gets the occasional earthquake?

4. Space Oddity Children’s Book
Canadian illustrator Andrew Kolb has given modern love to a David Bowie song by creating a “concept book” for kids (it could also be a avant-garde coffee table book for adults) based on his classic space epic, Space Oddity. It’s a really neat idea, imagining Bowie’s song in visuals as Kolb does. You can download it for free at KolbIsNeat.com. No word on whether Bowie has.

5.  Prof Quits Over Parking Spot
Dalhousie University prof Dan Middlemiss quit his job in frustration at the Halifax school after 30 years of teaching because of a severe shortage of parking spaces, a problem that has apparently been ongoing. I once wrote an article for my high school newspaper on my school’s parking problems called “The Pain of Parking At Adam Scott.” But I didn’t quit being a student. My parents wouldn’t let me.

6. TIFF
The 36th Toronto International Film Festival starts next week, running Sept. 8th through the 18th. There are sure to be some remarkable movies, but make no mistake: this is just as much about the A-list star power. The red carpet biz will be booming, welcoming the likes of George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Ryan Gosling, Salma Hayek and Bono. Toronto will be TMZed all week.  

7.  iPad Made Of Wood
A woman in South Carolina purchased an iPad from two men in a McDonald’s parking lot at a discounted rate. When she later opened the FedEx box it was in, she discovered it was just a block of wood with an Apple logo painted on it. Lesson learned: If you’re approached  in a McDonald’s parking lot about buying an iPad, first make sure it’s actually an iPad and not just a piece of wood painted black with an Apple logo.  

8.  Beyonce’s Twitter Record
Beyonce’s baby bump reveal at the end of her MTV Video Music Awards performance caused quite a stir on social media, breaking a new Twitter record with 8,868 tweets per second. Just wait till Kim Kardashian announces she’s pregnant with Kris Humphries’ baby to her nine million followers.

Metro Editors: http://www.toronto.com/article/696786

News
Entertainment
Sports
Lifestyle
National

Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels Kansas concert, condition unknown,…

Singer Miley Cyrus was hospitalized on Tuesday night after suffering what is believed to be 'a severe allergic reaction' to antibiotics medication. The 21-year-old Bangerz…

News

Explosions in new Boston Marathon bomb panic, 'twisted'…

A fresh Boston Marathon terror alert, which caused Bomb Squad officers to order an evacuation while two controlled explosions were carried out, was today being…

Local

Bomb squad detonates backpacks left at Marathon finish…

The Boston Marathon finish line has been evacuated and the Copley Square T station has been closed as police investigate a suspicious package, WBZ is reporting.

National

Reddit boosts news capabilities in social media turf…

By Jennifer SabaNEW YORK (Reuters) - Reddit, a website with a retro-'90s look and space-alien mascot that tracks everything from online news to celebrity Q&As,…

Entertainment

Television

'Orphan Black's' Jordan Gavaris talks Felix's Season 2…

Jordan Gavaris plays heroically helpful foster sibling Felix to main clone Sarah on "Orphan Black." We talked to him about what’s ahead for him in…

Television

TV watch list, Tuesday, April 15: 'New Girl,'…

'New Girl' Nick and Jess are hiding their breakup from the other loft residents. And Winston passes the police academy exam! That guy needed some…

Television

'Orphan Black' is back with 'crazy clone shenanigans'

“Orphan Black” is the little show that could. It had a few things working against it: a sci-fi premise, attracting an audience who had never…

MLB

MLB video highlights: White Sox beat Red Sox…

Red Sox fall on walk-off error to White Sox

NBA

NBA Draft Lottery day is May 20: Celtics…

NBA Draft Lottery day is Tuesday, May 20: Celtics percentage odds for a top overall pick

MLB

Opinion: Major League Baseball replay system shouldn't be…

Opinion: Major League Baseball replay system shouldn't be dumped just yet

NHL

Bruins - Red Wings preview: David Krejci ready…

Bruins - Red Wings preview: David Krejci ready to erupt once again in playoffs

Home

Steal home decorating tips from Nattystyle blogger Natalie…

Despite the towering ceilings and enviable exposed brick, it’s easy to see how Natalie Decleve’s apartment could be considered a challenge. Perched above the streets…

Home

How to plant a garden in the city

Small on space but big on gardening? You can still have that welcoming oasis of fresh air with an urban garden. Peter Smith, owner of…

Style

Victoria's Secret Fashion Show moving to England

It will still broadcast on CBS this fall.

Tech

Google Glass finally goes on sale for regular…

The Google Glass finally went on sale for regular people. It only costs $1,500.