Singular set of elevenses
1. Tebowing. The new “planking” is “Tebowing,” named after Denver Broncos QB Tim Tebow, who likes to get down on one knee and pray … even if everyone around him is doing something completely different. People (or “Tebowers”) from all over are now sending hilarious pictures of them “Tebowing” in random places to Tebowing.com. I’m Tebowing as I write this. It’s amazing.
2. Book of (Holiday) Awesome. For a little escape between holiday baking and family fights this festive season, the perfect tonic (other than a lot of gin) is Toronto-based Neil Pasricha’s The Book of (Holiday) Awesome, which hits bookstores next week. From the joy of plugging in the Christmas lights from last year and having them all work to successfully re-gifting a present to someone who actually wants it, it’s got it all.
3. Nickelback. A petition has been started at Change.org to prevent Alberta’s Nickelback from playing the halftime show during the Detroit Lions game on Thanksgiving Day at Ford Field. “Detroit is home to so many great musicians and they chose Nickelback?!?!?! Does anyone even like Nickelback?,” asks Dennis Guttman, the Lions fan who started it. Let’s see: Kid Rock or Nickelback? Coin toss.
4. 11-11-11. If you are the type who has the urge to see meaningful patterns or connections in random data, Friday is the day you’ve been waiting for. At 11-11-11 on this 11-11-11, the time and date will be a perfect palindrome, reading the same backwards as forwards — an event that happens one day every 100 years. Why not then go out and celebrate by seeing the apocalyptic film, 11-11-11, which opens today.
5. Shaq Uncut. Shaquille O’Neal’s autobiography, Shaq Uncut: My Story, is out Nov. 15 and is sure to be a slam dunk. Word is he doesn’t miss any foul shots in this tell-all: The website Deadspin.com says he details his volatile relationship with Kobe Bryant and an in-your-face argument he had with former coach Pat Riley. No one could have possibly thought the Big Diesel would go quietly into retirement, right?
6. Best liner notes. A brand new Twitter account has started up called @BestLinerNotes, which tweets “actual quotes from actual records.” Existential stuff like “Our existence is universal, whether it is right or wrong. Everything is one. That is what the bagpipes represent” and “Just as every snowflake has a different design, so are the patterns of life.” And deep thoughts like “He has been through the mill and come out whole grain.” Win.
7. Drake. Drake’s new album, Take Care, hits stores Tuesday, but the entire album has been leaked online. The Toronto rap sensation is taking it in good-natured Canadian stride, though, tweeting, “Listen, enjoy it, buy it if you like it … and take care until next time.” As every popular artist knows, leaks aren’t the worst thing as they draw attention to a work. I tried leaking this column early, but no one bit.
8. Kelly Ripa. The last show for her 80-year-old co-host, Regis Philbin, on Live! With Regis and Kelly will be next Friday. So Kelly Rippa will be flying solo for awhile until a replacement is found, and the show will be called “Live! With Kelly.” Ah, just let her actor hubby, Mark Consuelos, whom she met in her All My Children days, co-host with her. It would be a soap opera ending.