A nation is swept away by Linsanity
1. Pinterest.com: It’s the next Facebook or Twitter. Quietly but suddenly, this invite-only virtual pinboard where you “organize and share things you love” has exploded in popularity. It’s still technically in beta, but is already one of the Top 10 social networks. Before you know it “pin” and “repin” will become as common terms as “tweet” and “retweet.” You can “Like” it if you like.
2. Purple squirrel: Since a Pennsylvania couple discovered a purple squirrel in their backyard, the story has gone nuts on the Internet and a @purplsqurl Twitter account and Purple Squirrel Facebook page were started. A purple squirrel? For real? In related news, I think I saw a green chipmunk in my backyard. And a red bear. And a sasquatch.
3. Dare to wear red: Giving more meaning to the colour red this month, the Stephen Lewis Foundation dares Canadians to wear red and raise money to turn the tide of HIV-AIDS in Africa. The three top fundraisers by Feb. 29th will get to walk the runway at Toronto Fashion Week in March. Get more info at daretowearlove.com.
4. Tweet on Whitney Houston: A teenager on Twitter broke the news of Whitney’s death a full 45 minutes before the mainstream media. The tweet, from @AjaDiorNavy, read thusly: “omgg , my aunt tiffany who work for whitney houston just found whitney houston dead in the tub . such ashame & sad :-(“ Further proof social media really has changed everything.
5. Linsanity: LeBron who? New York Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin has come out of nowhere to become one of the most exciting players in the NBA — and one of its biggest new brands. He has led the must-watch Knicks to seven straight wins, including a buzzer-beater in Toronto against the Raps this week. On Twitter, he’s gained 200,000 followers in one week @jlin7. A sure sign he’s made it.
6. What Makes You Happy: A magazine with one of the longest titles ever — What Makes You Happy — launched this month with comedian Rick Mercer on the cover. It will tackle “happy, inspiring, silly, important, useful and/or frivolous” articles addressing different aspects of happiness. If you don’t read it, just listen to Don’t Worry, Be Happy. Works like a charm.
7. Will & Kate Barbie dolls: To commemorate their one-year anniversary April 29th, Mattel announced this week it’s releasing Will and Kate royal-wedding Barbie dolls. You can preorder the Barbie Collector Royal Wedding William and Catherine Doll Set on Amazon. I’m holding out for my Kim Kardashian and Reggie Bush dolls.
8. Justin Bieber: The Biebs made world headlines this week when he made a dying girl’s wish come true. Six-year-old Avalanna Routh has a rare form of brain cancer and her dream was to meet Bieber, so he flew her and her parents to N.Y.C. on Monday for a private meeting where they hung out and played board games. Never say never.