The part-time Millis Police Officer accused of cooking up a bogus account of being shot at while on duty plead not guilty in an arraignment on Friday, prosecutors said.
Bryan Johnson, 24, will face charges in Wrentham District Court for misleading investigators, making false statements in an emergency situation, malicious destruction of property and unlawfully discharging a firearm.
Last week, Johnson said he was driving through the quiet town of Millis when a white man in his mid-20’s or early 30’s in a red pickup truck opened fire on his cruiser, hitting it three times and which caused the vehicle to hit a tree and catch fire.
SWAT Teams and large Millis and State Police presence secured the densely wooded area near Forest Road looking for the non-existent suspect. Millis schools were closed on Thursday as a result of the manhunt.
Ballistics tests found that the bullets found in Johnson’s cruiser came from his weapon, according to police.
Police don’t know about a motive for the false report and were not sure if he set fire to his cruiser.