Charles Saatchi says concern over his alleged assault of his wife Nigella Lawson is overblown. "There was no grip. It was a playful tiff. The pictures are horrific but give a far more drastic and violent impression of what took place. Nigella’s tears were because we both hate arguing, not because she had been hurt," he said.
British police don't appear to agree. They investigated his alleged choking of his wife and they've issued him a caution for assault.
Saatchi, the 70-year-old advertising executive who was seen repeatedly choking Lawson at a London restaurant this weekend, met with police at a central London station Monday afternoon, according to The Independent. “Officers from the Community Safety Unit at Westminster were aware of the Sunday People article which was published on 16 June and carried out an investigation. This afternoon a 70-year-old man voluntarily attended a central London police station and accepted a caution for assault,” a spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said.
TV chef Nigella’s husband attacked her in broad daylight at a London restaurant, according to the Mirror. The UK newspaper published photos of Saatchi locking his hands around her neck several times and apparently choking her as she appears to try to pull his hands away. Nigella later left the restaurant in tears.
Although the incident went on for several minutes in clear view of the street and their fellow diners, onlookers were apparently too shocked to intervene. Bystanders said Nigella appeared to be trying to soothe her husband, laying her hand on top of his and at one point kissing him on the cheek.