As the CEO of lifestyle site ModernMom and Booty Burn fitness class instructor, Brooke Burke-Charvet’s life is crazy busy. But besides her various paying gigs, she’s also a mom of four. We caught up with Burke-Charvet to get her tips on keeping the whole family healthy.
1. Just play. “Simply playing is being active. My son and I spend a lot of time together on the trampoline, though he’s a lot better than I am. It’s actually a great workout. We ride scooters and bike ride as a family, too.”
2. Lead by example. “I take my kids with me when I teach a workout class. It gives them a place to stretch and join in if they want to. I especially encourage my teenagers [Neriah, 15 and Sierra, 13] to participate.”
3. Grocery shop and cook together. “I shop and cook with my kids so they really understand fresh food. For my younger kids, [Shaya, 8 and Heaven, 9], I try to teach them about eating the colors of the rainbow as an easy way for them to understand. Then they are trying different healthy foods that they wouldn’t normally try.”
4. Keep healthy on-the-go snacks handy. “I try to keep packaged food limited, but we’re a busy family so nothing is ever totally off-limits — it’s all in moderation. But being able to buy healthy snacks to have and carry is key.”
5. Take time for yourself. “Carving out time in the morning to work out after I drop the kids off at school is mandatory for me, not just for my body, but for my sanity. I schedule my workouts.”