Each season there are a few beauty looks that stop us in our tracks, a la the braided crown at Valentino last spring. In Milan on Tuesday, it was the regal romantic chignons at Dolce & Gabbana's Fall 2013 show. Though the opulent Byzantine-themed collection screamed royalty ( models even walked down the runway in crows), stylist Guido Palau wanted his elegant buns to exude a sense of ease — like the kind of 'do confident Italian beauties such as Sofia Loren or the women in "La Dolce Vita" would throw their hair up in, explained the Redken Creative Consultant.
Here are his steps to creative the look, perfect for your grand affairs, a.k.a. upcoming summer weddings.
1. Spray Redken Guts 10 Volume Spray to damp hair and blow dry using a round brush.
2. Dividing the crown section by section, spray Redken Quick Tease 15. Hold each section for a few seconds to let it dry before moving onto the next.
3. Backcomb hair to create light, airy volume throughout the crown.
4. Create a short (1 inch) part that's slightly off center and gently brush hair back into a chignon at the nape of the neck.
5. Secure style with pins and spray with Redken Shine Flash 02 mist for a glossy finish.