A fire that caused $1 million in damage to a Back Bay condo building Monday afternoon was caused by the careless disposal of a cigarette, the fire department said Tuesday.
The fire broke out on the wooden roof deck on top of the six-story building at 182 Beacon St. just before 6 p.m.
A carelessly disposed cigarette was left in a flower pot that was apparently used as an ash tray, said Steve MacDonald, a fire department spokesman. The cigarette helped ignite the dry material in the flower pot and eventually the one-alarm fire.
There were no injuries reported from the fire. Water poured on the rooftop fire traveled down to the floors below and damaged some of the 14 condo units, the fire department said.
Follow Michael Naughton on Twitter @metrobosmike