Home
 
Choose Your City
Change City

Bloomberg makes plea for 9/11 court settlement

To avoid years of uncertain litigation, Mayor Michael Bloomberg urged recovery workers and Lower Manhattan residents sickened by the toxic dust at Ground Zero to take a $712.5 million settlement that consolidates thousands of lawsuits.

To avoid years of uncertain litigation, Mayor Michael Bloomberg urged recovery workers and Lower Manhattan residents sickened by the toxic dust at Ground Zero to take a $712.5 million settlement that consolidates thousands of lawsuits.

The deal, however, could fall apart by Nov. 8 unless 95 percent of the more than 10,000 plaintiffs accept the offer. Sources told NY1 that 75 percent have so far signed on.

“We have no desire to be fighting in court with those who acted unselfishly and heroically in response to that attack,” Bloomberg said yesterday in a statement. “Litigation will almost certainly stretch on for many years — with legal fees and expenses eating away at the resources available for compensation awards.”

Bloomberg reminded first responders and cleanup workers that if they accept the settlement, they would still be eligible to apply for additional compensation if the James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act, which passed the House of Representatives last week, becomes law.

 
Consider AlsoFurther Articles