Police are investigating the death of a 4-year-old boy who may have accidentally ingested rat poison, a law enforcement official said. Credit: Metro File Photo
Police are investigating the death of a 4-year-old boy who may have accidentally swallowed rat poison in the Bronx, officials said.
Juan Sanchez died Monday morning after he may have ingested poison an exterminator left in his family's Tinton Avenue apartment two weeks ago, a law enforcement official said.
Juan first became sick a couple hours after returning home from the park with his mother and four brothers on Sunday, the official said.
His mother called 911 when the boy began to foam at the mouth. Police said Juan was rushed to a nearby hospital and died at Columbia-Presbyterian the next morning.
Investigators initially suspected alcohol may have played a role in Juan's death, the official said. On the way back from the park, his brother observed Juan drinking from a can of malt liquor he found on the stairs.
A toxicology screening found no alcohol in Juan's system, the official said.
Police said no criminality is suspected, but Juan's death is under investigation. The official said Juan's mother told detectives an exterminator left rat poison in the home two weeks ago.
The official said investigators are trying to determine what was in the beer can.
The medical examiner is conducting an autopsy Tuesday.