Anthony Coward was indicted for two subway hammer attacks in Brooklyn last month, according to the Brooklyn DA's office. Credit: DCPI
A Brooklyn man was arraigned on Tuesday for two subway hammer attacks last month, officials said.
Anthony Coward, 28, was indicted on multiple counts of robbery and assault, according to Brooklyn District Attorney Ken Thompson's office.
"This defendant is accused of brutally robbing unsuspecting commuters by hitting them in the head with a hammer, grabbing their property and cash and then fleeing," Thompson said in a statement.
On May 4, a man was purchasing a MetroCard from a vending machine at the Rockaway Avenue station when Coward approached him from behind and hit in the head by a hammer, according to investigators. The man fell to the ground and Coward demanded his property, taking the man's wallet, debit card, MetroCard and cash before fleeing, prosecutors said.
At the same subway station on May 7, another man purchasing a MetroCard was hit in the back of the head with a hammer allegedly-wielded by Coward. The man's cash was taken and he suffered a concussion.
A spokeswoman for the Legal Aid Society, which is representing Coward, said its investigation into the case has just begun.