Five Boston residents are facing assault and battery charges for allegedly beating Red Line passengers on March 9. Photo: TPD
A fifth suspect has been identified in the group beating of a 40-year-old man and a group of Rhode Island teens on the Red Line at the Broadway MBTA Station earlier this month.
Transit Police did not name the suspect, a 20-year-old South Boston man, but said he was due to appear in court Friday to face assault and battery charges stemming from the March 9 incident, which was partially caught on video.
Four suspects were arraigned Monday and released on bail. One of the suspects, Kevin McCarthy of South Boston, was already on probation for an earlier, unprovoked beating, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
McCarthy was convicted last year of taking part in the group beating of three men in the early morning hours of May 8, 2011.