Home
 
Choose Your City
Change City

Marjuana operation cause of Tewksbury home explosion

The Tewksbury Fire Department said a home explosion Tuesday night was caused by a marijuana THC extraction process using butane gas.

medical marijuana The Tewksbury home that exploded was being used to process marijuana products, according to fire officials.
Credit: Reuters

A home explosion Tuesday night in Tewksbury that sent three people to the hospital was caused by a drug cooking process that uses butane gas, according to the fire department.

Tewksbury Fire Chief Michael Hazel said Wednesday morning that the cause of the explosion and subsequent two-alarm fire was a marijuana THC extraction process that involves butane gas.

RelatedArticles

"The buildup of butane vapors within the apartment came in contact with an ignition source, and an explosion ensued," Hazel said in a statement. "The process was being performed on and around an electric stove within the apartment."

Multiple full and empty butane cylinders were found at the scene.

"This was a very dangerous situation for the residents and the firefighters," Hazel said.

The explosion at an Astle Street home was reported about 9:15 p.m. When fire crews arrived there were flames coming from the home, and the rear windows had been blown out.

Two men and a woman were able to escape the home, but were seriously injured. They were flown by a medical helicopter to Boston hospitals.

Six people, including the three victims, were displaced because of the fire.

Authorities are investigating the incident.

Follow Michael Naughton on Twitter @metrobosmike.

 
Consider AlsoFurther Articles