Milo, the dog responsible for attacking two people in separate incidents and ordered to be put down by Mansfield town officials, will likely be euthanized Monday or Tuesday.
The pointer hound mix was surrendered by the family to the town Monday morning, said Mansfield Police Chief Arthur O'Neill.
O'Neill said the dog will be put down once the town's animal control officer works out the logistics. He said a pardon or reprieve is unlikely unless someone or some group gets a rush injunction.
O'Neill said that while the decision to put down an animal is never easy, he said that the most recent attack just proves that town officials made the right decision after the first attack.
"It just proves that the call after the first bite was the right call," he said.
The most recent attack occurred Saturday when Milo bit his owner's 16-year-old daughter. The bite was so severe that the teen was being treated at Hasboro Children's Hospital in Rhode Island.
The first attack occurred in January when the owner's daughter was babysitting a 6-year-old boy the owner's home. Milo attacked the boy who required 400 stitches, according to The Sun Chronicle.
Last week the Mansfield Board of Selectmen made a controversial decision and voted to have Milo put down after the town's animal control officer deemed him a "dangerous dog."
Messages left for Milo's owners were not returned.
Follow Michael Naughton on Twitter @metrobosmike.