Angell surgeons perform dozens of delicate and highly specialized surgeries on birds each year. Photo: MSPCA-Angell
A Boston-area parakeet underwent wing surgery after it was accidentally sucked up by its owners shop vacuum, MSPCA-Angell reported.
Last Wednesday, avian and exotics surgeons at MSPCA’s Angell Animal Medical Center saved the life of "Birdie," the beloved pet of Milton resident Marie Margarone, after the bird crawled into a “shop like” vacuum moments before her unsuspecting owner switched it on.
MSPCA Spokesman Rob Halpin said the parakeet was violently thrown about in the canister for several moments before Margarone saw feathers flying. Margarone rushed the near unconscious bird to Angell only to discover that she had lost a lot of blood and suffered a broken wing.
About a quarter of the bird's left wing had to be amputated, Halpin said, however the animal was released the next day and has been recuperating ever since.
“I was convinced that Birdie wouldn’t make it given how violently she was thrown around the canister—but she’s a member of my family just as my other pets are, and I wanted to do everything I could to help her," Margarone said.
Though harrowing, it is not an uncommon situation for birds to be rushed to MSPCA-Angell with injuries; dozens of delicate and highly specialized surgeries are performed on birds at the animal hospital each year.
According to Dr. Simone-Freilicher, Birdie soared through the procedure. “Birdie has come a very long way since she sustained these injuries, she said. “I’m hugely impressed with this small bird’s strength and resolve and I applaud her owner for doing all she could to get her through the ordeal.”