Councilmen Bill Greenlee and Kenyatta Johnson, along with officials from victim advocacy nonprofit Women Against Abuse and the city Office of Supportive Housing, will on Monday announce the establishment of Philadelphia's second 100-bed emergency shelter for survivors of domestic violence.
The center will effectively double the number of shelter beds in Philadelphia for domestic violence victims.
"That the fifth largest city in the nation had just 100 beds for domestic violence victims was unacceptable," Greenlee said in a statement.
"I’m so glad Council and the Administration stepped up to the plate."
The new facility will be made possible by a $3 million appropriation from City Council and a $2.5 million grant from the city's Office of Supportive Housing.
"Last year we had to say 'no' 8,465 times," Women Against Abuse executive director Jeannine Lisitski said in a statement.
"These are the women who did not receive what they so desperately needed because the Women Against Abuse 100-bed safe haven – the only shelter for victims of domestic violence in Philadelphia – was at full capacity. Today, I am thrilled to say that their collective voice has been heard!"
Officials will formally make the announcement at 1 p.m. on Monday at City Hall.