St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church, the only house of worship destroyed during the terrorist attacks on 9/11, held a groundbreaking ceremony Saturday to start the rebuilding process.
The church, originally built in 1916, and was destroyed when the south tower collapsed on Sept. 11, 2001. The new church is designed by Santiago Calatrava, andwill sit at 130 Liberty St., the former Deutsche Bank Building.
The rebuilding is expected to take two years to complete. The blessing on Saturday was hosted by Archbishop Demetrios, and attended by other religious leaders, elected officials and dignitaries, including Sen. Charles Schumer, former Mayor David Dinkins and former Gov. George Pataki.