A Bronx grand jury refused to indict a police officer Wednesday who fatally shot an unarmed teenager in his own home last year.
Richard Haste and other undercover officers investigating a drug deal chased 18-year-old Ramarley Graham into his home in Wakefield on Feb. 2, 2012, when they thought he had a gun in his waistband.
After shooting Graham, Haste was charged with manslaughter. The original indictment was dismissed in May after a Supreme Court judge ruled Bronx prosecutors should have told the grand jury to consider that other officers informed Haste that Graham had a gun.
Bronx District Attorney Robert Johnson said prosecutors were "surprised and shocked" that the grand jury did not indict Haste on Wednesday.
"We are saddened for the family of the deceased young man and still believe that the court's dismissal of the original indictment was overly cautious," Robert said in a statement.
Patrolmen's Benevolent Association president Patrick Lynch said the grand jury "courageously came to the right and proper decision."
"This grand jury recognized that police officer Haste was pursuing what he had every reason to believe was a man with a gun," Lynch said in a statement. "He was facing the same imminent danger that all police officers face as we fight to rid our neighborhoods of dangerous, illegal guns."
Graham's family vowed to continue their fight for justice after hearing the news.
"The justice system is making the same mistake again. I am in a state of shock that with all the evidence put in front of the grand jury, they had the nerve to let my son's killer off [scot]-free," Constance Malcolm wrote in a Facebook post to friends and supporters Wednesday night.
Graham's familly will speak about the grand jury's decision in front of the Bronx District Attorney's Office on Thursday afternoon with the Rev. Al Sharpton and supporters.
Follow Anna Sanders on Twitter: @AnnaESanders