Philadelphia police announced a host of road closures for the July 4 "Welcome America!" celebration.
Credit: Metro file photo
If you're planning on driving anywhere in Philadelphia, particularly near Ben Franklin Parkway in Center City, at all this Fourth of July, you might want to plan ahead by taking a look at these road closures.
The following stretches of roadway are closed to vehicular traffic now through approximately 11:15 tonight as the City of Brotherly Love celebrates July 4 like only it can:
- Ben Franklin Parkway from 18th Street to Eakins Oval
- Cherry Street between 18th and 20th streets
- 19th Street between Callowhill Street and the Parkway
- 20th, 21st and 22nd streets between Callowhill and Arch streets
- Eastbound and westbound exits off I-676 to 22nd and 23rd streets
- Martin Luther King Drive from the Art Museum to Falls Bridge
The following stretches of roadway will be closed from 4 p.m. until the "Welcome America!" fireworks show wraps at approximately 11:15 tonight:
- Spring Garden Street closed to westbound traffic only beginning at Broad Street
- Callowhill Street closed to westbound traffic only beginning at Broad Street
- Hamilton Street closed to westbound traffic only beginning at 17th Street
- Kelly Drive from South Ferry Road to Eakins Oval
The following traffic pattern changes will be implemented between roughly 4:00 and 11:15 p.m.
- Westbound traffic on Fairmount Avenue will be diverted north on Corinthian Avenue
- Southbound traffic on 15th, 17th, 19th and 21st streets will be diverted east on Spring Garden Street
- Southbound traffic on 29th Street will be diverted east or west on Poplar Street
In addition to the closures noted above, the 500 block of Chestnut Street will be closed to vehicular traffic until 4 p.m. today, and Chestnut and Market streets will be closed between Front and 9th streets and 9th Street between Walnut and Arch streets till 1:30 p.m. today.