Six men were murdered in five shootings in the Bronx and Brooklyn this weekend, police said. All investigations are ongoing.Credit: Metro File Photo
After a weeklong respite earlier this month, six murders occurred over the weekend, with four shootings in just 10 hours on Friday and Saturday and another man shot and killed early Sunday morning.
Before this weekend, the mayor's office reported murders with guns had decreased 29 percent this year, with 148 fatal shootings through Oct. 13 and 208 during the same period last year.
As of Sunday night, no arrests had been made in any of this weekend's fatal Bronx and Brooklyn shootings.
Tyrek Singleton, 28, was the first to die. A gunman approached the South Bronx resident and a friend just a block from his home around 6 p.m. Friday night, police said.
Singleton, shot in the torso, was pronounced dead at Lincoln Hospital. His 26-year-old friend, who has not been identified, was shot in the leg.
The friend told police he didn't know the gunman and that they were approached unprovoked.
Just two and a half hours later, two men were shot on Pennsylvania Avenue in East New York, Brooklyn, after a verbal dispute.
Tevin Beckles, 21, was pronounced dead at Brookdale Hospital shortly after being shot in the chest around 8:35 p.m. Also hit in the chest, Randolph Williams, 37, died at the same hospital on Saturday.
Police said the nature of the dispute that led to the shooting is still unclear.
Around four hours later early Saturday, a 40-year-old man was shot in the head in front of the Bronx public housing project where he lived.
Pablo Pagan was pronounced dead outside the Murphy Houses in Tremont around 2:15 a.m. Police said there was no indication yet why he was killed.
Less than a mile away and two hours later, 29-year-old Marco Castillo was walking on Westchester Avenue in Soundview when he was approached by two men, one who began to fight with him, police said.
When it appeared Castillo would win the fight, the second man shot him in the head and torso around 4:14 a.m.
The suspects both fled, police said.
The weekend's most recent victim, who has not yet been identified, was found with a single gunshot wound to the torso at the intersection of Boston Road and Conner Street in the Bronx.
The 38-year-old was taken to Jacobi Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
As in the other shootings, police have not made any arrests. No motive for the shooting was immediately clear.
All investigations are ongoing.
Follow Anna Sanders on Twitter: @AnnaESanders