Two PGW employees were injured in an explosion on the 1800 block of South Bancroft Street on Thursday night. Credit: Rikard Larma, Metro
An apparent gas explosion in South Philadelphia on Thursday night sparked a fire that sent three people to the hospital with injuries and displaced more than a half-dozen people.
The fire on the 1800 block of South Bancroft Street spread to three homes, NBC10 reports. Two Philadelphia Gas Works employees, who had been called to the area to investigate a possible gas leak about 5:30 p.m., were inside ones of the homes' basement when the explosion happened just after 7 p.m.
The explosion could be heard as far away as eight blocks.
The two employees and one resident were treated at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania; all were expected to survive. Eight people were displaced by the fire, with the Red Cross providing shelter for one of three families, while the other two stayed with family or friends.