Home
 
Choose Your City
Change City

Spill at Boston University lab sends man to hospital

An acid spilled on the man working in the lab.

A research assistant at a Boston University lab was taken to a hospital this afternoon after an acid spilled on him.

Boston fire crews arrived at 24 Cummington St., just after 4 p.m., according to the fire department. The building is BU's life science and engineering building.

A research assistant working on the 8th floor became injured when trichloroacetic acid spilled on him, according to the fire department.

The man self-decontaminated using a lab deluge shower. He was taken to a hospital for further evaluation.

According to the Occupational Safety & Health Administration, exposure to trichloroacetic acid may cause severe irritation and/or chemical burns to the eyes, skin and mucous membranes. Inhalation can result in chocking, coughing, dizziness, weakness or swelling of the throat and lungs.

The college's environmental health staff will handle the cleanup, the fire department said.

The building was evacuated and there were no other injuries reported.

 
Consider AlsoFurther Articles