Home
 
Choose Your City
Change City

Sony cancels 'Interview' release

Sony Pictures is pulling madcap comedy “The Interview,” whose Thursday premiere aMiles Dixon/Metro

"The Interview" has been rescheduled.

Sony Pictures is pulling madcap comedy “The Interview” from theaters across the U.S. after receiving vague threats thought to be from hackers who broke into the studio’s computer system saying the James Franco-Kim Jong Un​ bromance insults Communist North Korea.

"It's too bad that we're being bullied like this," said retiree Marilyn Evans, 67, outside the Lower East Side’s Landmark Sunshine cinema, which on Tuesday canceled the film’s world premiere. "It's too bad that [North Korea is] going to win."

"We respect and understand our partners’ decision and, of course, completely share their paramount interest in the safety of employees and theater-goers," Sony Pictures said in a statement.

RelatedArticles

The movie follows Franco and Seth Rogen as two journalists who snag an interview with Kim, and are coerced by the CIA into helping them assassinate the mercurial leader of the world’s last hermit kingdom.

Hackers calling themselves Guardians of Peace, threatened earlier this week that "the world will be full of fear," and warned people to "remember the 11th of September 2001" if “The Interview” is released.

"We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time. (If your house is nearby, you'd better leave.) Whatever comes in the coming days is called by the greed of Sony Pictures Entertainment."

The North Korean Permanent Mission to the United Nations did not respond to calls for comment.

Evans said the scandal’s been great publicity for the film. "I didn't care to see it before, but I'd like to see it now,” she said. “If they can get it into a theater.”

 
Consider AlsoFurther Articles