For the first time since his dramatic apprehension on April 19, accused Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will not only face a judge Wednesday at his first appearance in federal court – he will face a confluence of innocent victims.
Tsarnaev, 19, faces charges in connection with the deadly April 15 terror attack that killed three marathon spectators and the subsequent manhunt that began with the execution-style murder of an MIT officer, and ended hours later with Tsarnaev's arrest.
The hearing is set for 3:30 p.m. on the fifth floor of Moakley Federal Courthouse, steps away from where alleged mobster James "Whitey" Bulger is on trial.
A large turnout is expected at Wednesday's court proceedings, according to The U.S. Marshals Service. Bombing victims - more than 260 - were notified of the hearing.
"Peaceful demonstrations" are also expected outside the courthouse, according to an organization that believes Tsarnaev is being held despite what they call "a lack of evidence."
A federal grand jury returned a 30-count indictment last month accusing the Kyrgyzstan-born teen of using a weapon of mass destruction and conspiracy. Seventeen of the charges carry a potential death penalty.
After bouncing back in forth in media interviews, Tsarnaev’s mother Zubeidate Tsaraeva, who has adamantly proclaimed her son’s innocence, told The Telegraph that she will not travel from Dagestan to attend today’s hearing.
“No, I will not be going," she told the paper.