Is there anything a BLT can't inspire?
I've turned it into a pasta dish. I've made it into a jam. I've done it as a salad. Even as a soup. And now ... I give you the BLT frittata.
OK, it isn't a direct correlation. I topped a basic egg frittata with bacon and tomato. Lettuce seemed a poor choice for anything that lands under a broiler, so I went with another green — chopped scallions. A healthy toss of grated manchego cheese helps tie it all together.
The result is a fast and easy flavour-packed egg dish that is ready for dinner duty. And if you want to lighten it up, just substitute turkey or chicken bacon and cut back or eliminate the cheese. Using chicken bacon and one-quarter of the cheese cuts the calories from 334 per serving to just 234.
Start to finish: 25 minutes
Makes four servings
- 6 large eggs
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) fat-free half-and-half (or milk)
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) ground black pepper
- 125 g (1/4 lb) bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) garlic powder
- 1 large or 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 250 ml (1 cup) grated manchego cheese
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Heat oven to broil.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, half-and-half, salt and pepper. Whisk well, then set aside.
- In a large, oven-safe skillet over medium-high, cook bacon until just crisp, about 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic powder and saute for another 6 to 8 minutes or until onion begins to brown. Transfer half of the bacon and onion to a small bowl and set aside.
- Return skillet with remaining bacon and onion to medium heat. Add eggs to skillet, stir to mix in bacon, then let cook until the bottom has set, about 5 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat. Arrange tomato slices over top of eggs in an even layer. Sprinkle cheese over tomatoes, then sprinkle scallions and reserved bacon and onions over it.
- Broil on oven's lowest rack for 1 to 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted and lightly browned and the egg is set through the centre.
Nutrition information per serving (values are rounded to the nearest whole number): 334 calories; 193 calories from fat (58 per cent of total calories); 21 g fat (10 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 373 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrate; 24 g protein; 1 g fibre; 1,282 mg sodium.