Officials believe they have confirmed the identity of the two men who removed a pressure cooker bomb from a suitcase in Chelsea, according to reports on Wednesday.
Officials initially said the two men, approximately ages 35 and 42, are part of a flight crew on an Egyptian airline, NBC News reported.
Authorities have been seeking the two men that they now believe are out of the country, Gothamist reported, since releasing video of the “very, very lucky” duo removing the pressure cooker explosive from a floral patterned suitcase they happened upon.
Police said they believe they know where the men are and are hoping to speak to them as witnesses and — if they still have it — take possession of the bag as evidence.
Police have stressed that the men are wanted for questioning only.
“They’re not in any jeopardy of being arrested,” Chief of the New York Police Department’s counterterrorism unit Jim Watters told CBS News. “We have no reason to believe they’re connected.”
On the video, the two men are seen seemingly admiring the luggage before removing the pressure cooker while inadvertently dislodging the cellphone detonator, placing the pressure cooker on the sidewalk and walking away with the bag.
“You can see them inspecting the bag, turning it around and talking about it as though they are saying it is not bad, and looks pretty good, and walk off with it,” a source said, according to DNAInfo.
“I think they were more interested in the bag, not what they were taking out,” Watters said previously, ABC7 New York reported, adding that they were “very, very lucky” the bomb didn’t explode.
Ahmad Khan Rahami, the 28-year-old suspect in custody for the Sept. 17 Chelsea explosion on 23rd Street, is seen earlier on the video leaving the suitcase on 27th Street, authorities have said.
Rahami is being held on $5.2 million bail and is facing both federal and state charges.