Home
 
Choose Your City
Change City

Family dog dies as $600,000 blaze guts Edmonton house

<p>Neighbours are trying to rally behind a family who lost their home and their dog after a late-night blaze.</p>

Hot-tub likely the cause of fire



Marc Bence/For Metro Edmonton


Homeowners wait for restoration services after their North Edmonton home was gutted by fire late Tuesday night





Neighbours are trying to rally behind a family who lost their home and their dog after a late-night blaze.





Investigators say firefighters were called to the home on 90 St. near 167 Ave. around 11:50 p.m. Tuesday night to find the two-storey home engulfed in flames.





“There were these huge flames, and at first I thought it was my next-door neighbours’ house on fire,” said Matt Rusnuk who lives three doors down from the home.





Rusnuk said he stayed outside until 2 a.m. yesterday morning to see if there was anything that he could do.





“The whole neighbourhood was outside watching this and I wanted to do what I could to help.”





The home’s backend and upper floor is now left in ruins and fire inspectors are still trying to discover what started the blaze.





Officials say the fire originated in the rear deck area of the home before it progressed into the second level. The blaze eventually broke through the ceiling before entering the main levels of the home resulting in $600,000 in damages.





The home was insured according to one next-door neighbour who’s close to the family.





“I heard the outcome was a hot-tub in the back of the home,” said Rusnuk. “It had some electrical problems.”





“All of the families in this neighbourhood were shocked about this — they were well-liked,” said Rusnuk.





“We told the mother that if she needed anything, our house is available.”





The family dog died in the fire.


 
Consider AlsoFurther Articles