Priscilla Chan has been by the side of Facebook creator Mark Zuckerberg for nearly nine years, but she recaptured the attention of America over the weekend when she said "I do" in a surprise wedding ceremony.
Chan, 27, and Zuckerberg, 28, were married in Palo Alto after guests thought they were attending a party for Chan to celebrate her graduation from medical school. Instead, Chan walked down the aisle and became the wife of one of the world's youngest billionaires.
So, who is Priscilla Chan? What kind of woman does it take to be the long-time girlfriend and now wife of the world's most famous nerd? Their road to newlyweds was long and one that began when they met in college. Our new-found fascination with Chan led us to some in-depth research into the past of the tech world's newest blushing bride. Here are five facts about Priscilla Chan that you didn't know:
1. Chan met Zuckerberg at a Harvard frat party and thought he was a nerd. The two bumped into each other while she was waiting in line for the restroom.
"He was this nerdy guy who was just a little bit out there. I remember he had these beer glasses that said 'pound include beer dot H.' It's a tag for C++. It’s like college humor but with a nerdy, computer-science appeal," she told The New Yorker in 2010.
Little did she know years later, this nerd would be a household name and one she would marry.
2. Though she had been his girlfriend for seven years, Chan and Zuckerberg weren't "Facebook official" until 2011 when they both finally changed their profile statuses to read "in a relationship."
And as the old saying goes, "First comes love, then comes marriage," their Facebook timelines proved to be a precursor to a bigger commitment.
3. She speaks three languages. Chan is fluent in English, Spanish and Cantonese. She also encouraged Zuckerberg to learn Mandarin in preparation for a trip they took together to China. Zuckerberg studied each morning for a year and was able to carry on a conversation with Chan's Chinese grandmother.
4. She made Zuckerberg sign a "relationship contract." Chan agreed to move to Palo Alto to be closer to the Facebook mogul, but only after she negotiated a set of terms for their relationship. Most of the contract has been kept under wraps, but one thing we do know is that time together was one of the big sticking points.
"One date per week, a minimum of a hundred minutes of alone time, not in his apartment and definitely not at Facebook," was one of Chan's stipulations.
5. Mark Zuckerberg personally designed her ring, according to a source close to the couple.
Instead of a multi-carat diamond, its focal point is "a very simple
Chan wore a sheer-backed gown with ivory embroidery called "Sky Between the Branches" by designer Claire Pettibone, who is known for her
whimsical, vintage-inspired creations. Chan's gown is priced at $4,700.
Their wedding details were some of the best kept secrets in "celebrity" history. Less than 100 guests saw the couple exchange vows in the backyard of their home. Zuckerberg announced their nuptials on his Facebook timeline the next day.