Mega Millions frenzy is sweeping the nation as hopeful lottery players line up for tickets for their shot at a historic $640 million jackpot. Everyone wants a piece of this pie. And why not? It's fun to imagine quitting your job and living the high life, hypothetically planning all the things you'd do with the money.
Not to burst your bubble, but those plans will likely stay hypothetical — your chances of winning the jackpot are 1 in 176 million (soooo... you're telling me there's a chance!)
Still, at least one person out there will purchase a winning ticket. They'll be able to claim their prize in 26 annual payments or opt for a lump sum of $462 million. So if you win big and you happen to browsing Metro just as you realize you are at the world's newest millionaire, we hope this guide on how to spend your jackpot will help (gratuity accepted). Turns out, not many things out there cost exactly $640 million dollars, but you'll have the budget to buy a wide variety of big-ticket purchases. Here's a start:
1. Lisbon Island, Portugal. Obviously, you'll want to invest in a summer home, but why not a summer island? This 3,000 acre island is worth about $310 million, leaving you with plenty of money left over to build your mansion(s). You might as well throw in Bird Cay island in the Bahamas — it's only another $28 million.
2. You'll need to drive around in style when you're back on the mainland, so for the chump change price of just under $2.5 million, the Bugatti Veyron Super Sports, the world's most expensive car, can be yours. But that's not, you can also afford the Aston Martin One-77, which can go from 0 to 60 mph in 3.4 seconds with a maximum speed of 220 mph. In fact, you could afford dozens of them.
3. Michael Jackson's former home. This would be a modest purchase for you at just $23.9 million, but you'd probably find it quite cozy. Jackson was renting this home in Bel Aire when in died in 2009, but it's up for sale now and waiting for someone with cash to move on it — someone like you!
4. Have you always wanted to say "I'm on a boat"? The M/Y Eclipse is the world's most expensive yacht at $590 million, but you can afford it! With this 536 foot floating estate, you'll have little need for anything else, so don't worry about blowing most of your budget. It has 24 cabins, two pools and its own nightclub. What more could a millionaire need?
5. Justin Bieber. That's right, with a networth of about $105 million, according to CelebrityNetWorth, you could buy six of these shaggy-haired teens! We're kidding of course, Justin Bieber is not actually for sale.