Home
 
Choose Your City
Change City

Prince died of accidental overdose: Medical examiner

Prescription opioid medication was found at the scene of Prince's death.

Prince performs during his 'Diamonds and PearREUTERS

Tests show music superstar Prince, who was found dead in his home in a Minneapolis suburb in late April, died of an accidental, self-administered overdose of an opioid painkiller, the Midwest Medical Examiner's Office said on Thursday.

The medical examiner, based in Anoka County, Minnesota, had been investigating the 57-year-old singer's death since he was found in an elevator in his home and studio outside Minneapolis on April 21.

RELATED:Remembering the life of legendary pop icon Prince

"The decedent self-administered fentanyl," the report said, listing cause of death as "fentanyl toxicity" and noting it was accidental.

Fentanyl is a highly addictive opiate that is more powerful than morphine and is used to treat patients with severe pain, often after surgeries.

 

Consider AlsoFurther Articles