Red Beans and Rice
- 1 1/4 cups dried red beans or red kidney beans, soaked
- 1 ham hock (500 to 700 g)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp each salt and black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1. In Dutch oven, combine water, soaked beans, and ham hock. Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Drain beans, reserving 2 cups liquid. Remove 2 cups beans from Dutch oven. Slightly mash these beans, then return to Dutch oven. Remove ham. When bone is cool, remove meat. Discard bone. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; return to Dutch oven.
- 2. Stir in reserved liquid, onion, celery, bay leaves, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, then simmer, covered, 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves. Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions, omitting butter and salt. Spoon bean mixture over rice. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve.